Sunday, July 12, 2009

Unexpected Places

One of the things I like most about writing is the unexpected places that I get to go to. Unlike reading a good book, when the flow of the story evolves and I am transported someplace that the author has guided me to, I get to choose where I go. Let me say that again, I get to choose.

Can you smell the freedom?

In a world dictated by carpools and naps and not being able to put off the grocery store for one more day, the liberation of being able to open a map, close my eyes and place my finger on a destination is a heady experience. What makes this part of my life even more interesting is that some of the places I write about aren't on any map at all.

For instance, my current work in progress, known in the writing world as WIP, is about a stubborn young angel traveling between Heaven and Earth looking for clues to unanswered questions. Before this exercise, I had never truly thought about what Heaven looked like. It was just a pretty place where all the angels lived, wasn't it. Well yes... and no.

At least for me.

I know that my vision of Heaven will most likely ruffle some feathers, or be considered out and out blasphemy by others. I can only hope that someday there will be dialog about it, giving other people an avenue to form their own opinions, or solidify what they already believe.

One thing I've found out, Heaven is not at all what I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment