Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer as Inspiration

Let's get one thing straight up front, I am not a warm weather person. The idea of living in Florida is as close to purgatory as I want to come. I do live in the Southern United States, but close enough to the Northern United States that eases the summer season into something manageable. Fall is only a couple months away with blessed breezes and colored trees. At least that's what I keep telling myself each time I open the door and feel myself glisten instantly. Give me 45 and blustery over 95 and humid any day.

But I find myself keen on the summer for one reason this year. The current novel I am writing is set in the summer. Whenever I need inspiration, I plant myself outside, endure the bugs and the glistening...okay let's just call it sweat already and be done with it, and I listen, to the crickets and cicadas which emerged only about a week ago. I look at the drooping flowers and the huge puffy clouds in the hazy sky. I touch the brittle grass that crunches beneath my bare feet. I smell the charcoal of barbeque grills firing up to roast hot dogs and hamburgers, and I can taste the late afternoon summer storm hovering just off to the west.

I believe being a writer has made me a better person, one that is willing to appreciate the inherent beauty in many things I normally would not have noticed. I am inspired as I return to my air conditioned home, pour lemonade for myself and my children and think about how to incorporate the heavy sense of heat into my writing.

It still doesn't mean that me and my main character have to like it.
Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment