Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Great Books

Often my friends and family turn to me asking what books are good for their kids to read. I'm secretly waiting with my list in my back pocket. I whip it out trying not to be too enthusiastic, we don't want to scare anyone with giddy giggling, and commence to tell whomever is asking my two cents. Without further ado....

For YA Girls (14/15+)

The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix
A three book series chronicling the rise of an inimical threat to parallel countries, one magical, one similar to 1920's as two young women learn what it means to use their inherent strengths, magic, and friendship to shoulder responsibility. There is great adventure, zombies and incredible writing in this series. Any lover of dark books, our heroines must walk in death, and magic will love these books. In order the books are "Sabriel", "Lirael" and "Abhorsen". The middle book "Lirael" is in my top five all time favorite novels ever.

Sarah Dessen
Dessen's honest frankness exploring real struggles girls face with boys, drinking and friendship is refreshing. Her writing is clear and concise and completely believable.

"The Forest of Hands and Teeth" by Carrie Ryan
Okay, this is another zombie book, and I really am not that into zombies, but this book is so beautifully written that there was no way I could leave this out. Mary lives in a forest surrounded by fences. Beyond the fences are the Unconsecrated. Mary struggles to understand the meaning of her life, as she hungers for knowledge and life beyond the boundaries of the known.


For Young Adult Boys


The Rouge and Knight Series by Hilari Bell
Bell chronicles the adventures of Michael, the Knight Errant, and Fisk, his unwilling Squire. Bell creates a world much different from our own, but in such a matter of fact way that totally transports the reader. With a touches of magic, humor and the real ups and downs of friendship, this series is a great read for boys. Begins with "The Last Knight" and then "The Rouge's Home". The third book is coming soon.

Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
This may be a stretch for the young adult category, but for a strong reader looking for something great, this is it. Harry Dresden is a detective in Chicago, he's also a wizard so the things the CPD call him in on are things of the paranormal. Dresden is unparalleled in cutting banter and Butcher has created a great arsenal of sidekicks. The files start with "Storm Front".

I planned to write about some great Middle Grade books, but as this has taken me three hours to write, between getting juices, breakfast, laundry, diapers and crowd control, I think I'll save that for next time.

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment