Sunday, July 19, 2009

Half Blood Prince

Attention all: SPOILERS

I have just come back from my second viewing of Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince. I tried very hard not to read reviews before I went, so I knew nothing other than JK Rowling's words swirling in my head. I usually re-read the book before the movie, but did not this time, and I think it helped enhance the movie experience, because obviously the movie is not the book...it is an adaptation.

So, considering I've seen it twice in 24 hours, no small feat with a family, I loved it. The Half-Blood Prince is my favorite book of the series, because it deals so much with the bad guys, and who doesn't love Rowling's bad guys. The movie portrayed this well, with one exception, Harry and Snape, the Half Blood Prince. Grrr. I would have liked to see more Snape, less Lavender. Although I did particularly enjoy her endearing scene of huffing a misty fug on the glass to draw a heart to Ron. Very classy.

The scene that stands out as particularly well done was the hidden lake scene. I loved how the filmmakers captured just how awful it was for Harry to make Dumbledore drink the vile potion. It was perfectly set off by the dreamlike quality consistent with the memories of young Tom Riddle Harry had been exploring. And most spectacular was Dumbledore's raw power finally unleashed to save them from the Inferi. I'm glad I got to see that, and truly wished they had done a bit more with it.

I must give a huge applause to the young actor portraying Draco Malfoy. He was utterly fantastic in what must have been a difficult role. His fall from swaggering braggart to woebegone, pitiful schoolboy was totally believable.

And finally, Jinny. That had to be the sweetest kiss ever.

It will be interesting to see how the filmmakers deal with the changes they have made to the storyline. How will Harry discover what the Horcruxes are, when in the books, he knows what he is looking for? Where will the Weaslys live now that their house has burnt? Will Bill and Fleur get married? If they don't where will Harry speak to Ollivander, if not at Shell Cottage? Ah well, I'll have to wait.

Maybe these are some of the reasons why "they" are making Dealthy Hallows into two movies not one.

But the true point of a movie is to entertain, and it sure entertained me. I'll tell you what, that opening scene swooping through London, into Diagon Alley... well that beats a roller coaster ride any day.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment