Tuesday, July 7, 2009

To Query or Not to Query

Family and friends who know me well.... Well, let's go ahead and put acquaintances in there too.... Okay, anyone that I have talked to in the past six months knows of my anguish over "The Query Letter." For those of you new to this, "The Query Letter" is that magic piece of paper containing everything about you and your novel. It floats across the desk of an agent or publisher instantly capturing their intrigue, making them marvel at your skill with words. They stop everything to phone you to ask for an exclusive look at your fully completed manuscript. Of course this is all done in 250 words or less.

Ahhh, if only it were that easy.

But there is hope. I think I've gotten a little less obsessed with "The Query Letter", because only a couple weeks ago I would have used all capital letters to type "The Query Letter", instead of just quotation marks.

I just may emerge from Querydom intact; slightly stunned but essentially whole.

The key may be to be a moving target. Not literally of course, but mentally. To know that you've done the best you can with the tools at your disposal and to always be always looking forward, moving toward your goal. For me it is "The NEXT Query Letter."

What is it for you?

1 comment:

  1. Hey
    Do you think a little illustration on your query letter would help? Ha Ha - truly though, if I can do anything to lighten the load (and mental anguish that accompanies this task)please don't hesitate to ask. Eww, a rhyme, maybe I should try poetry ;)
    Check out my blog - arthauskids.blogspot.com - or you can just click on my photo above.
    All my best to you!!

    ReplyDelete