Thursday, July 9, 2009

Keeping it Simple

Having children is a constant reality check and an infinite help to me as a writer. I am constantly reminded that communication does not have to be complicated. For instance, my five year olds earlier comment, “Daddy saw me go off the diving board.” I was interested enough to prod him further, looking for the deeper meaning behind the words. It took me a couple minutes to realize that nothing else was necessary; all I needed to know was in that sentence. He didn’t have to say that as he stepped onto the rough platform and looked over, his chest swelled with pride. I didn’t need the description of his daddy’s face smiling at him as he soared through the air, or the feel of the cool water welcoming the impact of his body.

It was all there. I just needed to read between the lines.

So maybe the next time I’m hung up on a long-winded description, trying to make the reader see what’s in my head, I’ll challenge myself to write whatever it is in one sentence. If I keep it simple, trusting the reader enough to “get it”, won’t we both reap the rewards? Besides it’s not so much making others see what’s in my head, it’s offering the story for you, the reader, to make your own pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment